|Semester||Fall Semester, 2017|
|Department||General Education Courses in Foreign Languages|
|Course Name||College English I|
Attendance & participation: 15%
Group project: 40%
Oral response (Cross-cultural Communication): 15%
Final exam: 20%
(1) Preview Assignments (10%): For every assigned reading in Reading Explorer 4, each group needs to find one difficult or complicated sentence and come up with one discussion question based on the reading or the video (as shown on Moodle). Your sentences and questions should be posted on wiki (Collaborative Writing) on Moodle before class.
(2) Group Discussion (20%): In class you will have time to discuss one question designed by another group, take notes of your answers, and add them to your wiki on Moodle within one week after the class.
(3) Group Presentation (70%): Each group will take turns giving a 15-minute presentation on an assigned topic based on a video clip. In your presentation, you need to briefly introduce the person(s) and main issues involved in the assigned topic, and give your own comments and reflections on the topic/video. You need to post the content of your Group Presentation on wiki on Moodle by the midnight of your presentation date. Each member should have a chance to speak on stage. *Your presentation will timed, and points will be deducted if your presentation exceeds 15 minutes. Self-evaluation and peer-evaluation among group members will be adopted in company with the teacher’s evaluation. Another pre-assigned group will give comments on your presentation.
(4) Each group member needs to fill out the form of “Self-and-Peer Evaluation of Group Project Teamwork” and submit it to Moodle by due date (December 22).
(1) Checkpoint Quizzes: Finish the online checkpoint quiz of each unit by due dates. You can do the quizzes at most twice; the better score will count toward your Quizzes in your final grade. Late submission is not allowed because the quize system will be closed by due time.
(2) Oral Response to Discussion Questions: After you preview the lecture videos of each unit, you need to record your oral response to the assigned question(s) in the Discussion & Resources of each unit, and submit your recordings to Moodle by due dates. *Late submission will lead to lower grades of your oral assignment.
•Unit 1 Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions: #2 required+ one self-selected question from Discussion
•Unit 2 Stereotypes: #2 required + choose one video from Resources and summarize the video or give your own comments on it
•Unit 3 Education: #4 required + any question or item selected from Discussion and Resources to answer or comment on
*Make sure you begin each of your recording with your Chinese name, student number, unit and question numbers. For example: “My name is 張小明. My student number is 106xxxxxx. I’m going to answer Unit 1, question 2. …”
*Before you submit oral recordings to Moodle, rename your files with your Department, Chinese name, student and unit numbers. For example: “傳播一張小明1061234567 (Unit 1)”
|Textbook & Reference|
1. Reading Explorer 4, Second Edition, Heinle Cengage Learning (2014).
2. Supplementary materials prepared by the instructor
|Urls about Course|