Attendance & Participation: 15%
Reading circle role sheets: 35%
Midterm exam: 20%
Final exam: 20%
- Bring a dictionary (paper or electronic one) with you to class every time.
- Attendance: You are required to attend classes regularly and on time. Absences (including sick leave and personal leave), tardiness, or early departure will damage your attendance grade. Contact me about your absence before class if you must miss class. *If you have FIVE (or more) unexcused absences, you will not be allowed to take the final exam.
- Participation: Speaking up in class, either being called or voluntarily, will add points to your participation grade. Try to catch any opportunity to speak up in class to earn bonus points!
- Quizzes: We will have overview quizzes before starting class every other week. *Missed quizzes cannot be made up.
- Reading Circles: You will be grouped into teams of 5-6 members. Each person in your own team will take turns assuming different roles of the Discussion Leader, Summarizer, Connector, Word Master, Passage Person, and Culture Collector. You are required to complete your role sheets at home so that you can join the reading circle discussions in class. *Late submission will lead to lower grades of your written assignment. You need to submit all the role sheets you have done in a portfolio by due date for grading. See attachment 1 for Reading Circle Role Sheet.