|Semester||Fall Semester, 2019|
|Department||Freshman Class A, Department of Public Finance Freshman Class B, Department of Public Finance Sophomore Class A, Department of Public Finance Sophomore Class B, Department of Public Finance Junior Class A, Department of Public Finance Junior Class B, Department of Public Finance Senior Class A, Department of Public Finance Senior Class B, Department of Public Finance|
|Course Name||Taiwan Line|
Sep. 12: Introduction (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tw.html)
Sep. 19: The Taiwan Experience: 1949-present
Sep. 26: The Taiwan-US relationship: 1979-present
Oct. 3: The US-China relationship: 1979-present
Oct. 10 (Double Ten): No Class
Oct. 17: The US One-China Policy
Oct. 24: The Chinese Communist "One Counrty, Two Sysyems" Principle
Oct. 31: The US-China Trade War
Nov. 7: DPP's Anti-Chinese Culture Sentiment and Policy
Nov. 14: The Taiwan Line (Free China)
Nov. 21: Distinguished Guest Lecture
Nov. 28: One-Day Field Trip
Dec. 5: Group Presentation A
Dec. 12: Group Presentation B
Dec. 19: Group Presentation C
Dec. 26: Group Presentation D
Jan. 2: No Class
Jan. 9: Final In-Class Meeting
Grades will be determined on the basis of the student's performance in relation to a) class attendance and participation, b) one individual assignment, c) one group presentation on analyzing a cross-strait politico-economic issue or a Taiwan-US partnership, and d) one individual report.
Class attendance and participation (10%)
Individual assignment (20%)
Group presentation (30%)
Final report (40%)
|Textbook & Reference|
1. Chang, Gordon G. 2001. The Coming Collapse of China. New York: Random House.
2. Chiou, C.J. and Leong H. Liew (eds.) 2000. Uncertain Future: Taiwan-Hong Kong-China relations after Hong Kong's return to Chinese sovereignty. Aldershot, England: Ashgate Publishing.
3. Easton, Ian. 2017. The Chinese Invasion Threat: Taiwan's Defense and American Strategy in Asia. Arlington, Virginia: The Project 2049 Institute.
4. Jackson, Peter M. and Catherine M. Price (eds.) 1994. Privatisation and Regulation: Review of the Issues. New York N.Y.: Longman.
5. Kroeber, Arthur R. 2016. China's Economy: What Everyone Needs to Know. New York: Oxford University Press.
7. Ohmae, Kenichi. 2002. The Emergence of the United States of Chunghwa (in Japanese). Kyoto: PHP Institute.
|Urls about Course|