Introduction (development of international investment law and source of law)
Investor, Investment, and International Investment Agreements[Dolzer＆Schreuer , pp.46-65]
The establishment of Investment [Dolzer＆Schreuer pp.72-84]
Expropriation and Compensation (I)[Dolzer＆Schreuer, pp.85-100]
Expropriation and Compensation (I)[Dolzer＆Schreuer , pp.101-119]
Standards of Protection (I) [Dolzer＆Schreuer pp.120-148]
Standards of Protection (II) [Dolzer＆Schreuer, pp.149-176]
Standards of Protection (III) [Dolzer＆Schreuer ,pp.178-194]
Investment Dispute Resolution(I),[Dolzer＆Schreuer, pp.211-242]
Investment Dispute Resolution(II) [Dolzer＆Schreuer, pp.242-262]
Investment Dispute Resolution(III) [Dolzer＆Schreuer pp.262-290]
SOE, SWF and governmental involvement in international investment (presentation)
Investment and Environment(presentation)
Investment and Labor (presentation)
Investment and Public Health (presentation)
Investment and Intellectual Property Right (presentation)
Investment Issues between Taiwan and China (presentation)
Reforms or Improvements of ISDS(presentation)
The students are required to finish the readings each week and participate in the discussion. All the students have to present at least two times. One is a 3-5 minus brief about the reading designated. Another is the presentation about the topics chosen by the students themselves. A term paper, at least 8 pages in length, should be submitted at the end of the semester.
The grade comprises two parts:
Grading of presentation on chosen topic/term paper (90%):
The criteria for evaluation are as follows:
- The ability of identifying feasible topics
- The quality of the research
- The quality of the paper presented, including the presentation performance
- The effectiveness of revision
Grading of class participation (10%):
The evaluation is based the frequency and the substance of comments given to the others’ presentations. The quality of the brief will be accessed as part of the performance of participation.
1. Principles of International Investment Law, Dolzer & Schreuer, Oxford, 2012
2. Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment, Newcombe & Paradell, Kluwer Law International, 2009.
3. Principles of International Investment Law: Reconciling Policy and Principle ,Surya P Subedi, Hart Publishing, 2008
4. Fair and Equitable Treatment in International Investment Law, Klager, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
5. International Investment Law and Arbitration: Leading Cases from the ICSID, NAFTA, Bilateral Treaties and Customary International Law, Weiler, Cameron May, 2005.