|Semester||Fall Semester, 2019|
|Department||IMBA Program, Second Year|
|Course Name||International Business Management|
(*taught by Prof. Yu)
9/5* . Overview of international business
. Factors affecting firms’ internationalization
2nd Trade theories and protectionism
9/12 . Trade theories
. Trade protectionism
Chapters 5, 6
3rd Foreign market entry strategies (I)
9/19 . Evaluation of countries for operations
Chapters 13, 14
4th Foreign market entry strategies (II)
9/26 . Forms of foreign production
. Ownership and strategic alliances
5th The international political and legal environments
10/3 . Political risks
. Legal systems
6th Case 1: Eliminate the Middleman?
10/17* (HBR R0603A)
1. Please assess the capabilities or odds of success of Taisource to market its own brand.
2. What should Ustech do?
3. What some OEMs (e.g., Apple) can work with their suppliers well and do not fall into the predicament Ustech was in?
7th Economic environment
10/24 . Economic systems
. Economic integration and cooperation
Chapters 4, 7
8th *****Midterm examination*****
9th Cultural environment and managing global talents
11/7 . Elements of culture
. Managing cultural diversity
. Expatriate management
. Chapters 2, 20
10th Case 2: Nora-Sakari: A Proposed Joint Venture in Malaysia
11/14* (IVY case, 9B06M006)
1. Why did the cooperation between the two firms have not succeeded yet?
2. To make this cooperation successful, what are your recommendations to those unsolved issues?
3. What should Zainal do if he decided to work with Sakari?
11th International marketing management
11/21 . Standardization vs. adaptation
. Marketing mix
12th International business strategy and multinational control
11/28 . Strategy of international business
. Organizational structure and control
Ch. 12, 16
13th Case 3: Giant Inc.: Formation of the A-Team (IVEY 9B09MT44)
1. Why was the A-Team formed? Why could it be formed by Taiwanese firms?
2. What kind of activities/mechanisms contributes to the mutual learning among A-Team members?
3. Is cooperating with a direct competitor (such as between Merida and Giant) a viable prospect for the A-Team in the long run?
4. What should Lo do to help the A-Team achieve all of the objectives set in 2003?
5. Under what conditions might A-Team break up?
14th Global Production and Supply Chain
12/12 . Supply Chain
. Supplier Management
15th *****Final examination*****
16th* Issues related to international business: questions and discussions
Class Participation and preparation 30
(including class attendance)
Case reports 30
Midterm Exam 20
Final Exam 20
|Textbook & Reference|
1. Daniels, J. D., Radebaugh, L. H., and D. P. Sullivan, International Business: Environments and Operations, 16th ed., NY: Pearson Education, Inc., 2019. (華泰書局)
2. Three cases:
(1) Eliminate the Middleman? (HBR R0603A)
(2) Nora Sakari: A Proposed Joint Venture in Malaysia (IVEY 9B06M006)
(3) Giant Inc.: Formation of the A-Team (IVEY 9B09MT44)
|Urls about Course|