|Semester||Spring Semester, 2020|
|Department||Graduate Institute of Technology, Innovation & Intellectual Property Management, MA Program(TIM), First Year Graduate Institute of Technology, Innovation & Intellectual Property Management, MA Program(TIM), Second Year|
|Course Name||Strategic Project and Operations Management|
Independent Study Term Project Assignment:
In this term project, students should take a critical observation on a real case in the field of Production and Operations Management and document it. The purpose of this project is for student to explore the operations function of an existing organization. There is relatively large freedom in the selection of topic. A student group is expected to select an organization and a process. This may be a service organization, a manufacturing organization, a government entity, a health service organization, etc. Students should conduct interviews with company to collect data/information that needed for the project. Beside the above main part of the term project, students should apply project management practices to control this project.
The final output should include follows, if applicable:
· Briefly describe the organization or part of the organization that you will be using for this project. What process(es) will you focus on? What product or service does it create?
· Overview and Environment: Describe the organization. What is the product or service? What are its competitive advantages? What are its operations competitive advantages? Describe the industry. Who are its primary competitors? How does the competitive environment affect its operations? Discuss the product’s location in the product life cycle.
· Process Description: Pick a product or service of this organization. What process strategy do they use to create this product/service? What are the inputs to this process? What transformational activities do they perform to add value? What are the outputs? Describe the process using a flow chart, a process activity chart, service system mapping, or value-stream mapping.
· Waiting-Line: Describe the waiting-line(s) used to process a product or service in the selected process. Describe the ‘customer’, ‘waiting line’, waiting line priority, ‘servers’.
· Quality: Describe the organizations approach to quality for the product/service. How do they ensure quality? Do they use any quality tools? Do they use inspections?
· Process Layout: Describe the layout of the process. Draw the layout of the process.
· Supply Chain: Describe the organization’s supply chain. Who are its suppliers? Who are its customers? Do they outsource? What is its supply chain strategy?
· Inventory: Describe the organizations inventory: raw material, WIP (work in process), MRO (maintenance, repair and operations), finished goods. Where in the process do they hold inventory? What are the plusses and minuses of holding inventory for this organization? How do they decide when to order and how much to order? Does the organization use any just-in-time or lean practices?
· Drawback and improvement plan: Please take a critical observation on your case’s production and/or operations’ processes. Identify drawbacks and propose an improvement plan.
· Project management documents: Aside from the main requirement of this term project, the student group should submit all project management documents, such as Gantt Chart, all Meeting Minutes, Implementation and Migration Plan, Issues Identification & Tracking Document, and Project Closing Report, to name a few but not limited to. All documents should keep in an online shared folder (Google Doc preferable) within a group, and the access should share to the instructor for review, comment, and grading purpose.
There are three major deliveries:
1. Progress Report Presentation
(Presentation on April 23; Presentation slides due 08:00, April 23 by e-mail: email@example.com)
Each group will have maximum 10 minutes to present the progress of their project. The presentation should start with the areas of study (company/ production/operation) and motivation to study on these areas. The group leader should submit the presentation slides by deadline.
2. Final Presentation
(Presentation on June 4; Presentation slides due 08:00, June 4)
The team should prepare a 15 minutes presentation that introduce your case and analysis. The group leader should submit the presentation slides by deadline.
3. Final Report
Each group should submit a written report that contains a cover page. The report should be 20 to 40 pages in length (excluding tables, figures, and references). References should be properly cited. The group leader should submit the report (in Word or PDF format) by 16:00, June 11.
Subject: Strategic POM - A question on homework
|Textbook & Reference|
|Urls about Course|